When it comes to holidays, some are pretty much universally enjoyed, like Halloween, since it’s all about costumes, candy and fun. But then there’s Valentine’s Day, which critics slam as a fake Hallmark holiday, and marketers would have us believe everyone really loves everything being pink, red and heart-shaped.
But even if you love Valentine’s Day, you have to admit there are a lot of terrible and generic gifts out there that no one really wants to get from their sweetie. These are some of the worst presents you’ll want to avoid this February 14th and what to get instead.
- Heart-shaped jewelry - Jewelry store commercials would have you believe this is on every woman’s wish list, but how many people do you actually see wearing heart-shaped earrings and necklaces? Not many. That’s why you’re better off sticking to simple pieces that will always be in style, like gold or silver hoop earrings.
- Generic flowers - Flowers can be fantastic Valentine’s Day gifts, as long as they’re not the plastic-looking red roses that wilt in two days. Not only do they not last, they show that you put zero thought into the present. So skip the grocery store and head to your local florist to create a personalized bouquet, or go with an orchid that comes in a pot and can last for years.
- Drugstore chocolates - Sure, the heart-shaped box is fun, but this is a generic gift and even worse? The chocolate often tastes like soap. Instead, hit up a chocolate shop or bakery for delicious treats, or treat your Valentine to a cooking class, where the two of you can get creative in the kitchen together.
- Perfume - With so many scents on the market, it’s hard to choose one someone else will like. It’s much safer to buy a perfume they specifically ask for, but if you’re not sure, go with something that makes their home smell good, like a reed diffuser. They’re aesthetically pleasing and the scents can be changed, making them better than candles.
- A spa-day gift basket - Pre-packaged baskets full of sheet masks and bubble baths are one of the most generic gifts around. So leave that on the shelf and give a gift card to a day at the spa for a real treat. Everyone could use some pampering, like a massage or a facial, so getting that for Valentine’s Day is bound to bring a smile, instead of a look of disappointment.
Source: In The Know